Friday, February 7, 2014

A Starting Point for Differentiation


My Vision for My Classroom
I would like to have a classroom where everyone feels safe, a place where children can be themselves. A place where learning is fun! My hope would be to have a classroom where students are excited to come to school, as well as a positive environment for everyone.
INVITATION
I need to communicate the following to my students:
  • I respect who you are as well as who you can become
  • I want to know you
  • You are unique and valuable
  • I believe in you
  • I have time for you
  • I learn when I listen to you
  • This place is yours too
  • We need you here


OPPORTUNITY
“Opportunity requires hard work, but it is work with a purpose--it is work in pursuit of a dream.”
As the teacher, I need to provide opportunities for students to excel, and assure the things asked of students is worthwhile.


INVESTMENT
“Invested teachers are personally engaged in what they ask the students to do.”
 
PERSISTENCE
I can understand how important it is for a teacher to be encouraging, yet persistent with students. As a mother I have learned how to cheer on my children, make them stretch and reach for new heights, and to never give up. I can bring this trait into my classroom and create an environment where students will never stop learning. 
 
REFLECTION
It is important as a teacher to not only assess students, to fully understand where the child is and what they need to learn, but to know the child as an individual.
As a teacher I will:
  • I will watch you and listen to you carefully
  • I will make sure to use what I learn to help you learn
  • I will try to see things through you eyes.
  • I will ask how I can make things better

2 comments:

  1. Colleen, I loved this posting! I loved the way you expressed your insights, and the specific graphics you chose -- which clarified your teacher heart, fully! You're amazing. 5 pts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. COLLEEN! Your Blog is FANTASTIC! I absolutely love the look and feel of it but more importantly the content! I loved the picture you used to describe what you want your future classroom to look and feel like. I also loved your reflection I think you should have your "I Will's" posted in your classroom somewhere and have your students fill out their own "I Will" to be posted on their desk or something. Awesome post, You are going to be such an amazing teacher!

    ReplyDelete